A gentle reader requested to know a bit more about Torgny Lindgren. And so ever one to oblige those seeking knowledge about my favorite writers, you all shall be punished for his curiosity. I have only five books, I don't know how many are available in translation: The Way of a Serpent , Light , Sweetness , Bathsheba , and Merab's Beauty . The first three that remain most vividly in my mind--the first a story about a wicked landlord who collects the rent from a family in rural Sweden and when the money runs out begins to exploit the women of the household. The title is taken from proverbs 30:19 the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (KJV) And though my recollection is at something of a distance now, at least two, and possibly all three of these is developed in the course of a very short novel. Perhaps the best description of the book is gritty and realistic. I...
Thanks for posting these.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, those prone to uttering such profundities never understand the significance of what they've just said, even when it's pointed out to them. I know--I've tried and failed to get them to understand.
Dear Fred,
ReplyDeleteYes. I just had a similar experience on the legal side when I was required to sign a document that basically said that I was not required to sign this document. When I pointed this out to the originator of the document he at least acknowledged and provided a graceful out. But when it comes to deeply held positions, too often we are reluctant to examine what exactly it is that we have just said.
shalom,
Steven
Yes, especially when one feels it might weaken one's position.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I think many of us would rather be thought a fool than admit we are wrong.