A gentle reader requested to know a bit more about Torgny Lindgren. And so ever one to oblige those seeking knowledge about my favorite writers, you all shall be punished for his curiosity. I have only five books, I don't know how many are available in translation: The Way of a Serpent , Light , Sweetness , Bathsheba , and Merab's Beauty . The first three that remain most vividly in my mind--the first a story about a wicked landlord who collects the rent from a family in rural Sweden and when the money runs out begins to exploit the women of the household. The title is taken from proverbs 30:19 the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (KJV) And though my recollection is at something of a distance now, at least two, and possibly all three of these is developed in the course of a very short novel. Perhaps the best description of the book is gritty and realistic. I...
Steven - I was a de Botton-sceptic until I went to a talk he gave to publicise his The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. From that I came away thinking more of the man, perhaps not enough to read one of his books.
ReplyDeleteDear Anthony,
ReplyDeleteI actually like de Botton's books--I've read three or four with Proust being my favorite. I just don't know how his reputation stands in philosophical circles. Engaging prose, ideas that are interesting--makes for pleasant enough reading (as nonfiction goes).
shalom,
Steven
"I just don't know how his reputation stands in philosophical circles."
ReplyDeleteHe doesn't have ANY standing in philosophical circles. He isn't a philosopher.
Dear Mr. Mitchelmore,
ReplyDeleteThank you. I specialize in the written arts and more specifically fiction--hence I like How Proust Can Save Your Live as Philosophy light and litcrit light--just enjoyable reading. Hence my ignorance on matters philosophical.
shalom,
Steven
The writer in question is a good communicator and has many affectionate readers. Although I find his essays superficial, I recognize his ability to sell books.
ReplyDelete