With M. R. James, amongst the finest ghost stories in the language--a review of E. F. Benson's collected short stories . Memorable, "How Fear Departed from the Long Gallery," "The Room in the Tower," and "Mrs. Amworth." While I don't agree with the blogger in Benson's wider range (M. R. James has quite a range from "Casting the Runes" to "Count Magnus" to "'Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad," and Lovecraft also had a large range from "Cool Air" to "Whisperer in the Darkness" to "Color Out of Space" not to mention the central position of the Mythos. But that said, I cannot argue with the reviewer's admiration of the quality and range of Mr. Benson's wonderful collection. Well worth one's time if one is into October Reading. And what is particularly nice is that Benson does offer us, occasionally, the real and true, dyed-in-the-wool ghost story--a rarity...
But he is among the greatest and most original novelists alive. Why he has not been given the Nobel is a mystery.
ReplyDeleteDear Mr. Wilson,
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to find another who is even aware of him. The internet truly makes available the wide world of readers. I couldn't agree more with your evaluation. The only thing I can figure is that they stand for too traditional a moral view of the universe. Once upon a time Francois Mauriac could win a Nobel Prize--but now that view is no longer respectable--hence Mr. Lindgren languishes without a prize. It doesn't matter, so long as he keeps writing.
Thank you for commenting.
shalom,
Steven
Could you tell us a bit more about Torgny Lindgren?
ReplyDeleteI checked the local library, and all it has is an international short story anthology with one of his stories.
Dear Fred,
ReplyDeleteThis will require more than a simple response. I hope to compose something this evening to meet the need.
Thank you for asking.
shalom,
Steven