Upcoming Reading

I was at the library and snagged a copy of Maaza Mengiste's Beneath the Lion's Gaze.  Glancing at the first page or so, I came upon this:

from Beneath the Lion's Gaze
Maaza Mengiste

The heart monitor beeped steadily. All was normal. Hailu knew without looking, he could undertand the body's silent language without the help of machinery. Years of practice had taught him how to decipher what most patients couldn't articulate. These days were teaching him more: that the frailty of our bodies stems from the heart and travels to the brain. That what the body feels and thinks determines the way it stumbles and falls.

To which I say, I have two books in the queue, which I now must finish quickly because I cannot wait to get to a book that has such a thought on the very first page of text.

Comments

  1. Beautiful prose! I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Connie,

    I'll be sure to post it when I'm through. It will be a few days because I have two books in process before it. But I may have to shove them out of the way (again) because I am so eager to read this.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night