And a Pair About David Kepesh

Which will go a ways toward recounting my ignorance and confusion about most things Roth.

Scenes from a Professoriate

on September 11, 2009 7:45 AM
I wrote the other day of my disillusionment with John Updike--that despite his truly amazing technical aplomb with words, I found much of his fiction sterile and pointless. That is NOT to say that it is sterile and pointless, but rather that I am not the right person to find the point of an Updike tale.

I used to think the same of Philip Roth. Perhaps even more of Philip Roth because it seemed to me that he was so singly focused on one aspect of the human condition. And perhaps that is because the aspect of his focus is of particular interest, and Roth engages in it with a lustiness that certainly takes the timid New England adulterer and turns him on his head.

But, perhaps what I need to learn to do is to read properly, and to ignore the overtly offensive, understanding that my offense is really a measure of my resistance.

Take this passage from Roth:
from The Professor of Desire
Philip Roth


What little spirit smolders on in me during the last months of the marriage is visible only in class; otherwise I am so affectless and withdrawn that a rumor among the junior faculty members has me "under sedation." Ever since the approval of my dissertation I have been teaching along with the freshman course "Introduction to Fiction," two sections of the sophomore survey in "general" literature. During the weeks near the end of the term when we study Chekhov's stories, I find, while reading aloud to my students passages which I particular want them to take note of, that each and every sentence seems to me to allude to my own plights above all, as though by now every single syllable I think or utter must first trickle down through my troubles. And then there are my classroom daydreams, as plentiful suddenly as they are irrepressible, and so obviously inspired by longings for miraculous salvation--reentry into lives I lost long ago, reincarnation as a being wholly unlike myself--that I am even somewhat grateful to be depressed and without anything like the will power to set even the mildest fantasy in motion.

"I realized that when you love you must either, in your reasoning about that love, start from what is higher, more important than happiness or unhappiness, sin or virtue in their usual meaning, or you must not reason at all." I ask my students what's meant by these lines, and while they tell me, notice that in a far corner of the room, the poised, soft-spoken girl who is my most inteeligent, my prettiest--and my most bored and arrogant--student is finishing off a candy bar and a Coke for lunch.
You must read the rest for yourself. But what is here is beautifully, roundly written, with sentences that roll and flow out, filling up and expanding, meaning at first little, but when reread, becoming more revealing, more inviting, more explanatory of the difficulty of David Kepesh. And while these difficulties are more often than not spelled out in the sexual relations of Mr. Kepesh, they stem from a deeper source, an unexamined stream--a place that Mr. Kepesh, to this point at least, refuses to go and refuses to see.

What evolves is an amazingly convoluted, but full portrait of a man in his dissatisfaction. And while one might expect such a portrait to be depressing, perhaps to weigh one day more than it ought--this never seems to happen. Mr. Roth by the power of language alone, carries us along and amuses us. Indeed, this story at least is by turns amusing and dark--and the wonderful point is that the amusement itself is rarely dark. It stems in part for the realization that they people Roth writes about are much like ourselves--that we all (men that is--I can't imagine that Roth's writing has much appeal for women) live in much the same unexamined way. Oh, those of us who are introspective selectively examine the faults and virtues we wish to acknowledge. But we are actually like that overstuffed closet that, when the door opens, we struggle and struggle to push everything back in and seal the door behind it. We can never completely seal the door and the next time it bursts open, we're back in the mess. And there is something delightfully lifelike and refreshing to find others in similar predicaments, although not necessarily for exactly the same reasons.

The Professor of Desire--Philip Roth

on September 14, 2009 9:53 PM
 
I finished the book listed in the title of this on the flight from Orlando to Washington D.C. I had to endure the cab ride to Silver Spring before I could open and finish the last two pages of the book, and with it fresh in my mind, I'm not certain that I'm ready to say anything helpful about it.

Let me start with nonessentials--having finished this book, I now have three that I brought with me to choose from--Saul Bellow's Seize the Day, the next in the David Kepesh saga--The Dying Animal by Philip Roth, or Kingsley Amis, Lucky Jim. Or I can choose from the plethora of reads on my Kindle including current perusal of Ulysses or The Ambassadors.

Back to Roth--while I enjoyed the book, I was ambivalent about how I felt about the main character at the end. It was very similar to my experience with Isabel Archer at the end of Portrait of a Lady. Though for quite different reasons. Isabel comes to her ruin through her enormous pride--wanting her complete freedom, she more thoroughly destroys it than would be otherwise possible. Reading The Professor of Desire one is left with two possible conclusions regarding David Kepesh, and unfortunately I know which one I favor. The first is that early formative experiences, including a sexual liaison in his early twenties with two women at the same time, which nearly destroys one of the participants, so thoroughly colored his experience of sexuality and life that his subsequent choices were shunted down progressively more destructive paths. The second is that David Kepesh is stuck in a permanent romantic adolescence in which passion is everything and the possibility of settling into a relationship in which passion and its sexual expression were not a constant succession of progressively more pyrotechnic and cataclysmic encounters was not thinkable. This latter is a state too many men in America found themselves permanently bound up in, if one is to believe the divorce statistics and the activities of even supposedly devout Catholics.

As I said, I doubt that anything here could guide a reader one way or another with regard to the book. I need to consider it longer, more deeply, and more broadly to come to any sort of conclusion at all.
But, oh, what magnificent and controlled language, what beautiful sentences. Not lyrical in the John Updike way, but in some ways better, stronger, more filled with tension and life--more New York, less Boston. The language really is a wonder to behold, even when reading about subjects that in the abstract and by themselves are not particularly uplifting.

The Dilemma of The Dying Animal

on September 16, 2009 8:22 AM


Philip Roth poses us a dilemma in The Dying Animal. If you read The Professor of Desire, you get the story of David Kepesh up until say the mid seventies. And quite a story it is too, young life in a menage a trois, wife for eight years, almost as many recovering from wife, girlfriend with whom, at the end, he feels a dying passion.

In The Dying Animal (at least mid-way through) meet David Kepesh, who now mysteriously has a son with his first (and apparently only) wife, who came of age in the 1940s (when it was before clearly the 1960s) and who is master of the erotic and disgusting arts. He is obsessed not even with sex but with passion. His life drive is pure passion as passion.

Which of these two represent the story of David Kepesh? Or taken together are they intended to make up a now-tired commentary on the nature of the fictional world in that it is fictional and infinitely malleable.

Comments

  1. I agree completely with your assessment of Updike though I tried hard to like the five or six Updike novels I read. I read that many because the technical skill was clearly present. The man can write but your choice of word 'sterile' is perfect. They left me cold. I did not hate them but after a few attempts I did not wish to read any more Updike. I categorise him with Garrison Keillor as kitsch.

    For me Roth is a writer of the first-order. His books are revealing, excite the passions, make me happy or angry as the case may be. The mystery for me about Roth is that he does not or cannot create sympathetic characters. Whilst I buy everything the man writes and never fail to enjoy the reading, there is a coldness left by being unable to fully engage with the characters. I feel similarly about Iris Murdoch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anthony,

    Agree about Roth with one small exception--my recollection was that _The Plot Against America_ did have moderately sympathetic characters. It could be because the novel struck me as so totally unlike the rest of Roth's oeuvre that I was more engaged all 'round. But generally, as I have said elsewhere, Roth's characters are not the sort of persons I would care to pal around with.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven

    Yes indeed. I was quite forgetting The Plot Against America. I forget that was Roth and wholly unlike his other work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night