A Measured Evaluation

D.G. Myers gives us a nice list of the best books of the decade.  It is only a list, so there isn't much in the way of explanation; however, the site is deep and though I haven't searched thoroughly, I suspect that many of the works on the list are treated in greater depth in individual posts.

Places of variance--I was disappointed to note that Russo's Empire Falls ranked so highly in his evaluation of works--but then de gustibus non est disputandum.  Likewise with The Dying Animal; I could see nothing that would rank this work with the timeless--but there I'll admit my own fault--Roth's brilliance often eludes me. And finally the less said of the vastly overhyped Let the Great World Spin, the better; I've rarely encountered a less readable, less interesting, less linguistically diverting work receiving so much praise.  Again, I always must point out that the fault may not lie with the author but may rest solely with me--nevertheless, I've gotten tired enough of seeing it hyped that I'm now putting out warning flags to those interested.

Places of concurrence: William Trevor's Love and Summer.  What fascinates me about this book is that I recognize its quality, I know how well it is written, I applaud its structural integrity, I admire the language. But in point of fact, I don't like the book very much--least of all of his books that I have read.  I don't think you need like a book to recognize that it is truly well-written.  In this particular case, I'm not part of the intended audience--it's ambiance misses me entirely.  And that, Harold Bloom would remind me, is a mark of my deficiency--the work has read me and found me wanting.  I'm okay with that.  A great many works and/or people have expressed similar opinions in my lifetime.

Nevertheless, whatever its merits, Mr. Myers have given this more thought and more consideration than I have done or am ever likely to do and he gives us a list to react to and to add to our own vastly inflated lists of things to read.  There are many titles of interest, and given that some of them have had time to age and mellow, there is now more distance to allow for more objective evaluation.

But I'm still wondering where our Joyce, Tolstoy, and Shakespeare are hiding out--because I don't find them in these lists.  I wonder if we've forgotten (except for William Trevor) how to universalize the particular, or, more likely, I've greater immunity to its charms in the postmodern age.

Comments

  1. I am in complete agreement about Love and Summer and William Trevor in general. The book left me cold and I rushed to finish it.

    The JST test is a high standard. Only time will reveal which of these authors survive for posterity.

    For my taste, the list sets the bar pretty low for "greats". Richard Russo, Michael Frayn's Spies, Tim Winton, Sarah Waters, Marilynne Robinson's Gilead and Home: these are fine and of the moment but greats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Francine Prose's Blue Angel made the list! I really thought that book was something special.

    But: No books for 2007? Not a one? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anthony,

    Thank you--it's always something of a relief to hear that others can see the quality but fail to get much out of it. And yes JST is a very high standard, I recognize that.

    Another point I was mulling is that there didn't appear to be much on the list outside of the North American European circuit (I'd have to go back and look.) And I do think that our JSTs may emerge from someplace like India or China. Evidence seems to me mounting daily. I think back at how long ago I read A Fine Balance and the way the book lingers in memory and wonder if that is merely a quality of how it affected me or if it is a quality of the book to resonate.

    Connie,

    I've not read much of Francine Prose, and it appears I need to start. I recently read Goldengrove which I enjoyed for the sheer beauty of the language. And I believe she compiled a nice study of poetry as well as a book on reading as a writer. But I've not indulged in as much of her fiction as it appears I might profit from. Thank you for confirming a recommendation!

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night