Literary Math

This is just gorgeous; I hope the excerpt shows well.  Analyzing language in metabooks.  And as they say in the math books--This is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers; the proof is left to the student.

from "The meta book and size-dependent properties of written language"
in The New Journal of Physics
Sebastian Bernhardsson1, Luis Enrique Correa da Rocha and Petter Minnhagen
The second assumption (equation (3)), with γ > 1, gives the relation
Equation (7)
The last case in equation (7) (β < 1) can be disregarded as impossible since γ needs to be smaller than one for the integral to be positive, which means that α is also negative. This would give a book where the number of different words decreases as a function of the total number of words.
I have to admit to being very partial to the intrinsic beauty of the integral symbol--and indeed to much of the symbology of mathematics in general.  Even when I don't fully comprehend the mathematics being expressed, I can ponder pages that look like this for hours on end, stunned simply by the gorgeous nature of the typography.  Yes, I love words and I love symbols and I love language both logos and mathematica.  (That last is also a reference to one of my favorite program suites of all time.)

Found via Conversational Reading.

Comments

  1. i love pulling math and science into literature but this is way over my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jessie,

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. While I could not solve the equations shown, I have a sense of what it is they are designed to do--so I'm in the same boat you are in. However, I just think the typography has a kind of beauty that you seldom see elsewhere--the ornate and elaborate symbols that are part of the language of mathematics are just gorgeous.

    Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment!

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night