A gentle reader requested to know a bit more about Torgny Lindgren. And so ever one to oblige those seeking knowledge about my favorite writers, you all shall be punished for his curiosity. I have only five books, I don't know how many are available in translation: The Way of a Serpent , Light , Sweetness , Bathsheba , and Merab's Beauty . The first three that remain most vividly in my mind--the first a story about a wicked landlord who collects the rent from a family in rural Sweden and when the money runs out begins to exploit the women of the household. The title is taken from proverbs 30:19 the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (KJV) And though my recollection is at something of a distance now, at least two, and possibly all three of these is developed in the course of a very short novel. Perhaps the best description of the book is gritty and realistic. I...
I felt the same way when I checked it out, wondering if it would be an audio trainwreck. Now I'm wishing the library had more Proust audiobooks (if they are even available). I can't believe it has taken me so long to realize that reading out loud can make dense passages of Woolf or James or Proust much easier to understand.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I have to admit it took me years to get to the point where I could listen to books and enjoy them. Maybe it was finally coming to terms that it was not a substitute (for me) for actually reading the book.
Dear Dwight,
ReplyDeleteI have a serious problem with audio books--I think it results from the fact that I always try to indulge in them when I am otherwise occupied and cannot read. But I can't seem to keep the threads of the spoken story in my head long enough to get through the book. So I'm boggled that anyone could manage Proust--the mental discipline required is prodigious--by far easier to read the sentence. I suspect that, for me, it would be as easy to read and parse the sentence in French as it would be to listen to about half of that same sentence read to me in perfect English.
O, alas for my shortcomings. I need to build myself up to the ability to absorb a book in such a way. (And I'm not being ironic or sarcastic. I think that it would be lovely to go out walking and be able to hear a story that sticks in my head. But if I go out walking I'm too distracted by whatever it is I encounter on the walk. Ditto driving. Ditton cleaning the house. And just forget about laying on the couch or sitting in a chair and trying to absorb ANYTHING.
Just too restless. And yet, I continue to try. And perhaps with such a glittering and golden opportunity as to hear Proust, that might just be the ticket. Might.
But thank you for bringing it to my attention. And always, many thanks for your most excellent and entertaining blog. I'm deeply grateful for someone sharing their thoughts as they indulge in what was classically called the Classics.
shalom,
Steven