The Countess of Pembroke reminded me. . .

Of one of my all-time favorite poems:

To My Dear and Loving Husband
Anne Bradstreet

If ever two were one, then surely we.
    If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
    If ever wife was happy in a man,
    Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
    I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
    Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
    My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
    Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
    Thy love is such I can no way repay.
   The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
   Then while we live, in love let's so persever
   That when we live no more, we may live ever. 
An essay-guide to the poetry of Anne Bradstreet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night