Author Interviews: Michel Houellebecq

The Paris Review Interview of Michel Houellebecq

via Times Flow Stemmed

An interesting excerpt:

(Houellebecq) I think sometimes I need a break from reality. In my own writing, I think of myself as a realist who exaggerates a little. But one thing definitely influenced me in The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft: his use of different points of view. Having a diary entry, then a scientist’s log, followed by the testimony of the local idiot. You can see that influence in The Elementary Particles, where I go from discussions of animal biology, to realism, to sociology. If not for science fiction, my biggest influences would all belong to the nineteenth century.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night