Jonathan Safran Foer

I can't agree with the philosophy, but many may be interested in Foer's most recent.

My problem with the idea of veganism is that many promote it to be the "natural" life-style.  But anyone who bothers to look at human dentition can see that it belongs to the class of animals known as omnivore's.  The part of the philosophy I can agree with is that there need not be the cruelty that is presently practiced in getting those things that we do eat.

Another thing that often bothers me about issues-oriented works like this is that they seem so narrow.  Certainly we have cruel practices in the food industry--but as a society, we tend to be fairly callous and cruel in an entirely arbitrary way.  The prevelance of abortion and the radicalism of the extremes on both sides of that issue is a revealing case in point. 

It sometimes seems to me that each person practices a kind of cruelty a hundred times a day without thinking about it.  Our summary judgments are often harsh and hurtful--we condemn our political opponents not merely for their ideas, but for their very existence.  And so forth. 

I would say if we want to direct compassion toward animals, we might well start with each other and allow that to flow out to others.  Although there is much to be said for the idea that if we eat in a way that exhibits kindness and concern, it may trickle into how we treat one another as well. 

I suppose, I just need to follow my Rabbi--"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night