With M. R. James, amongst the finest ghost stories in the language--a review of E. F. Benson's collected short stories . Memorable, "How Fear Departed from the Long Gallery," "The Room in the Tower," and "Mrs. Amworth." While I don't agree with the blogger in Benson's wider range (M. R. James has quite a range from "Casting the Runes" to "Count Magnus" to "'Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad," and Lovecraft also had a large range from "Cool Air" to "Whisperer in the Darkness" to "Color Out of Space" not to mention the central position of the Mythos. But that said, I cannot argue with the reviewer's admiration of the quality and range of Mr. Benson's wonderful collection. Well worth one's time if one is into October Reading. And what is particularly nice is that Benson does offer us, occasionally, the real and true, dyed-in-the-wool ghost story--a rarity...
I read it recently, and I'm not sure you need to go out of your way. The most enlightening thing about it to me was that some of the essays read like a really good blog post, and it sort of de-mythologized the author-god impression I had of Chabon and gave him back his person-status.
ReplyDeleteAs far as his reflections on manhood go...not so impressed. I'm put off by his affection for comic books; his appeal to the nostalgia of 70s and 80s era objects and attitudes feels a little stale; and his moral positions are mostly incompatible with a Catholic sensibility.
...but it's fun reading nonetheless.