Heaven Knows I Need It!

Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide reviewed at First Things

Everytime I think about my time with Aquinas I am reminded of this anecdote:

from St. Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox
Gilbert Keith Chesterton

A lady I know picked up a book of selections from St. Thomas with a commentary; and began hopefully to read a section with the innocent heading, "The Simplicity of God." She then laid down the book with a sigh and said, "Well, if that's His simplicity, I wonder what His complexity is like."

I also recall, without chagrin, with something approaching simplicity myself (though not in this noble Aquinian sense) remarking on a philosopher's blog when he had solicited comment on a new explanation of God's Simplicity that, "I hadn't realized it had changed."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night