Books, Books, and more Books: Wordsworth Reflects

from The Prelude Book V
William Wordsworth

A precious treasure had I long possessed,
A little yellow, canvas-covered book,
A slender abstract of the Arabian tales;
And, from companions in a new abode,
When first I learnt, that this dear prize of mine
Was but a block hewn from a mighty quarry—
That there were four large volumes, laden all
With kindred matter, 'twas to me, in truth,
A promise scarcely earthly. Instantly,
With one not richer than myself, I made
A covenant that each should lay aside
The moneys he possessed, and hoard up more,
Till our joint savings had amassed enough
To make this book our own. Through several months,
In spite of all temptation, we preserved
Religiously that vow; but firmness failed,
Nor were we ever masters of our wish.

And when thereafter to my father's house
The holidays returned me, there to find
That golden store of books which I had left,
What joy was mine! How often in the course
Of those glad respites, though a soft west wind
Ruffled the waters to the angler's wish
For a whole day together, have I lain
Down by thy side, O Derwent! murmuring stream,
On the hot stones, and in the glaring sun,
And there have read, devouring as I read,
Defrauding the day's glory, desperate!
Till with a sudden bound of smart reproach,
Such as an idler deals with in his shame,
I to the sport betook myself again.

So, for Wordsworth, first nature, and then books that expose him to more nature.  It's wonderful to contemplate two boys saving their money together to buy volumes of the Arabian Nights.  Even more, it's nice to see a sort of self portrait in someone who could take a book to the streamside and sit all day and read.  "Defrauding the day's glory. . ."  yes, put that book down and get back to what you came to a streamside to accomplish!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night