A gentle reader requested to know a bit more about Torgny Lindgren. And so ever one to oblige those seeking knowledge about my favorite writers, you all shall be punished for his curiosity. I have only five books, I don't know how many are available in translation: The Way of a Serpent , Light , Sweetness , Bathsheba , and Merab's Beauty . The first three that remain most vividly in my mind--the first a story about a wicked landlord who collects the rent from a family in rural Sweden and when the money runs out begins to exploit the women of the household. The title is taken from proverbs 30:19 the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (KJV) And though my recollection is at something of a distance now, at least two, and possibly all three of these is developed in the course of a very short novel. Perhaps the best description of the book is gritty and realistic. I...
Steven,
ReplyDeleteRather complex and definitely requires considerable time.
Probably my imagination, but that seems to be similar to some representations of HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu.
Fred,
ReplyDeleteIt's curious. I had exactly the same thought about Cthulhu. Either it is a subliminal message or it is a subliminal message! :-D
shalom,
Steven
Steven,
ReplyDeleteI would have to go with it being a subliminal message.