More than I Care to Gather about Mr. Franzen's Latest

At Hungry Like the Woolf, a round-up of Franzen reviews.

I find myself in this blogger's camp.  As much as I enjoyed The Corrections, there were serious problems with tone, character, and other aspects of the novel.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it.  There is some simple delight in Franzen's prose.  However, this is an author about whom I know too much, and so my enjoyment is to some degree alloyed with my annoyance at his public persona and his gratuitous and constant insults to the reading public.  He could do with a good deal less publicity or a much better publicist/trainer.

I pull from the bulk of comments this lone dissenter on Freedom for special recognition. 

A breath of balance is salutary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night