From Open Culture

Free Digital Golden Age Comics

William Burroughs on Led Zeppelin

This latter reminds me of an anecdote.  Recently I had opportunity to visit with a good friend and long time business acquaintance.  We were having lunch in Philadelphia during a convention.  Conversation got around to previous incarnations/jobs/realities.  It happened that he mentioned that he used to work as a "bouncer" at a funky little club in the DC area.  This piqued my interest.

"Really, which one."

"It was this little place down on F Street, called the 9:30 club."


"The 9:30 Club, I used to go there all the time."


"Really?  What did you see?  I was there for Klaus Nomi."

"I saw Klaus Nomi.  And Bill Nelson.  And I went to this William Burroughs reading that also had a local premier of a John Waters film."

"I was ticket taker for that one. "

So we had seen each other some years before.  We had actually exchanged a momentary interaction--a ticket, a piece of paper.  And here we were some years later tracing our now amiable and enjoyable interaction to a random moment of passing paper.  (Turns out that while we both enjoyed the energy and excitement of the punk and new wave movements, we also both stood toward the back of the crowds to avoid much of the more earthy interaction that could transpire at a given concert.  And we had been in the same club/same vicinity a great many times without being aware.)  I just find this whole thing so cool.  By the way Burroughs was reading that night from Cities of the Red Night.  Honestly, I have no idea why I went because I didn't think then and still don't think all that much of him as a writer.  But perhaps it was the lure of another "cult" film.  I seem to think that it may have been "Desperate Living."  Whatever it was, it did star Divine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night