Back in Dublin

Once again, I find myself in Dublin for a week of work.  As a result my posts will be asynchronous, corresponding either to mid-afternoon (after work) or very early in the morning (before work).  As today was the first day after arrival, I slept in.  I never fail to be amazed at how easily my body accommodates the change moving west to east and how difficult it is to acclimate upon returning home.  I'm already used to getting up at two in the morning my time and the week should go very, very well indeed.

On my last two trips here, I spent the time tracing the tracks of Ulysses and reading it when spending off-hours from work.  I also worked all of the major religious and historical attractions and many of the museums.  So far this trip I was able to take in the Irish National Art Gallery (Featuring Art by a lesser known, but very fine Irish artist--Jack Yeats) the Irish Natural History Museum--a kind of interesting museum of museums--the exhibitions resembling something one would expect of a natural history museum circa 1890, and the Irish National Museum of Archeology and History--this time have a quite grisly exhibit of various sacrificial bog-people. 

My reading this time will take a different track.  As noted above, I've read Ulysses the last two times I was here, so I thought that this time through I would take in Dubliners and Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man both of which, being easier than Ulysses should be readily accommodated in my off-hours.  In addition, I plan to take in Hemingway's A Moveable Feast in the newly restored version.  I have completed the main body of the latter and am now wandering through the materials in the appendix.  The book as a whole is startlingly different from the version almost everyone has read--and as such requires much comment and introspection before I can decide which one I prefer.

Now, I'm off to do my own reading, with perhaps some sharing of the spoils as i comeupon them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night