A gentle reader requested to know a bit more about Torgny Lindgren. And so ever one to oblige those seeking knowledge about my favorite writers, you all shall be punished for his curiosity. I have only five books, I don't know how many are available in translation: The Way of a Serpent , Light , Sweetness , Bathsheba , and Merab's Beauty . The first three that remain most vividly in my mind--the first a story about a wicked landlord who collects the rent from a family in rural Sweden and when the money runs out begins to exploit the women of the household. The title is taken from proverbs 30:19 the way of a serpent upon a rock; the way of a ship in the midst of the sea; and the way of a man with a maid. (KJV) And though my recollection is at something of a distance now, at least two, and possibly all three of these is developed in the course of a very short novel. Perhaps the best description of the book is gritty and realistic. I...
Steven,
ReplyDeleteI've had a copy for several years now but have been afraid to tackle it--1100+ pages is daunting.
I have a different version. Mine is possibly the first translation of the work ever made into English. I say this because it is the Modern Library Edition and the translation is by Arthur Waley, who was the first to translate many Japanese and Chinese works into poetry.
Dear Fred,
ReplyDeleteI've read Arthur Waley's translation, and while it is somewhat stilted and old-languagey by today's standards, it is still a serviceable telling of the tale. Seidenstricker's is magnificent, and there was one further mentioned that I thought I might have to look at because of the notes.
A nice accompaniment to this is the Diary of Lady Murasaki, which sheds some light on common practices and court life of the time.
Read, enjoy--it is long, but read in and amongst others, it provides zip, zest, flavor.
shalom,
Steven
Steven,
ReplyDeleteI've read several of Waley's translations, so his style might not bother me that much, once I actually get into it.
I hadn't heard of her Diary. Thanks for the information.