An Odd Note on Ulysses

You know, it just occurred to  me, having visited Ireland last year just after Bloomsday--remarkably little of Ulysses takes place in the dark.  During my time there I was out until 10, or 11 o'clock at night taking what look like late-afternoon pictures.  Around 10:30, 11:00 there was a sort of dusk, though it still seemed quite light to me. 

Not that it matters, but it may  (pardon the pun) shed a different light on the later episodes to think of them as being in late afternoon/early evening light rather than full dark.  It is likely that the only "full-dark" part of Ulysses may be "Penelope."

Just a thought that I hope contributes to your appreciation of the work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night