"Medea in Athens"

The poem of the week Medea in Athens.

The complete poem may be found here.  And judging from what I have read, this is one neglected Victorian poet to whom I am going to have to pay closer attention. 

from "Medea in Athens"
Augusta Davies Webster

And now, when day with all its useless talk
and useless smiles and idiots' prying eyes
that impotently peer into one's life,
when day with all its seemly lying shows
has gone its way and left pleased fools to sleep,
while weary mummers, taking off the mask,
discern that face themselves forgot anon
and, sitting in the lap of sheltering night,
learn their own secrets from her--even now
does it seem either good or ill to me?
No, but mere strange.

And this most strange of all
that I care nothing.


Or, to quote another famous poet "Dark, dark my light and darker my desire."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night