Review of a film about Mishima

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Here is an author I came to after the end of the spectacle of his life.  As a teenager, there was a certain romanticism to this.  But I've never much appreciated Mishima's work in comparison to other contemporaries and even older authors.  I would place Junichiro Tanazaki, Natsume Soseki, Akutagawa, and Yasunari Kawabata all higher up on the to-read list.  But this reviewers comments persuade me that perhaps I should reevaluate my stand.

Comments

  1. Steven,

    I've read and enjoyed works by each of the writers you've mentioned, and I find them all so different. I would, though, include Mishima in with them.

    One difference I find that does separate Mishima from the others is that his works seem to have more of a hard edge than the others, and, political/social issues seem more prevalent or perhaps more obvious in his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Fred,

    Yes, perhaps it is that--the hard edge, as it were that does not appeal to me. However, I shall go back in time and reread some of these.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night