With M. R. James, amongst the finest ghost stories in the language--a review of E. F. Benson's collected short stories . Memorable, "How Fear Departed from the Long Gallery," "The Room in the Tower," and "Mrs. Amworth." While I don't agree with the blogger in Benson's wider range (M. R. James has quite a range from "Casting the Runes" to "Count Magnus" to "'Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You My Lad," and Lovecraft also had a large range from "Cool Air" to "Whisperer in the Darkness" to "Color Out of Space" not to mention the central position of the Mythos. But that said, I cannot argue with the reviewer's admiration of the quality and range of Mr. Benson's wonderful collection. Well worth one's time if one is into October Reading. And what is particularly nice is that Benson does offer us, occasionally, the real and true, dyed-in-the-wool ghost story--a rarity...
Why the reference to Dostoyevski?
ReplyDeleteOr was that merely a teaser?
Dear Fred,
ReplyDeleteOther than Joyce Carol Oates (and in the recent past Isaac Asimov) Alexander McCall Smith is one of the most prolific authors writing. He's relatively recent author who is producing a tremendous amount of material all the time--several books a year. That's the reference to Dostoevsky--sheer output. So much so that Dostoevsky is suspected of having temporal lobe epilepsy, which manifests in quite a different way than what we are used to for epilepsy.
shalom,
Steven
Steven,
ReplyDeleteOK. I was wondering. I have read some of Smith's works, and he never struck me as being especially Dostoyevskian in his writings.