Less Commuting=Greater Happiness

Jonah Lehrer explains the algebra of a short commute and greater contentment

Everyone thought I was insane when I first moved to my present city and set about choosing my house.  I carefully mapped out the routes to Disney and excluded anything likely to be affected by traffic to and from.  Then I plotted work place and chose places only east of work to live (I learned from living in Columbus that living west of work is a tedious and dreadful thing in terms of commute--sun in eyes morning sun in eyes evening--assuming, of course, that Columbus was having one of its exceedingly rare days of sun.)  And finally, I didn't want to be more than 15 minutes away from work.  Walking distance (not possible) would have been better. 

And now the brain scientists tell me why all of that work was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night