Say You're One of Them Uwem Akpan

I know that Oprah is controversial in a number of ways.  I know that some authors don't particularly care for Oprah's book club.  I know that it is not considered savvy to speak out in her favor; however, I have to say that I have tremendous respect for anyone who encourages people to read.  And I especially have respect  when Oprah asks her audience to indulge in reading as harrowing, and beautiful as Uwem Akpan's powerfully written Say You're One of Them.  I was reminded of the luminous stories in this collection as I read through Adichie's book.  Akpan's stories are powerfully written, brilliantly imagined.  But they are relentless, unsparing, and occasionally brutal.  Even the gentlest of them "What Language is That?" is heartrending in its depiction of the destruction caused by sectarian sentiment and violence. However, "What Language is That" is a walk in the park compared to either the tale of preparing to sell children into slavery "Fattening for Gabon" or the story in which the title of the book is spoken mother-to-child in the midst of the Rwandan devasatation "My Parent's Bedroom."

 The book is one that I cannot recommend highly enough, and I also must recommend Oprah's dedication to the cause. Is it untinged with the commercial, with the crass, and the callous world of media?  Is anything?  One can ask oneself a million questions about motive--but as long as Oprah is recommending books of this caliber to a reading republic that thinks Twilight is la creme de la creme, and makes a best seller of Dan Brown, I will remain her staunch ally in at least this facet of her public-career. 

Whether recommended by Oprah or not, you would do yourself a tremendous favor to get this collection and read it--cover to cover without pause.  It is breathtaking, beautiful, brutal, and enlightening in the same way that Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance helped shed light on another dark place.

*****  Highest possible recommendation

Comments

  1. I'm glad to have this prod to go on through these stories. Beautiful and painful, but I think because they concern children living rather cluelessly in conditions of intense brutality, it just disturbs me too much. Ex-mas feast, I guess did me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betty,

    You are so right, and Ex-Mas Feast is actually one of the more upbeat. They are rough, amongst the roughest I've ever read--but penetrate to the heart of the illusion that we wrap around the world. It's hard to read it, even harder to think that the conditions that spawn it still exist in the world.

    Thank you for taking the time to comment.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night