A Unique Libary Gambit

Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall is taking some time to get through--it is worth the time, but I'm also itching to move on to other things, so I need to fill in the interstices in my reading--time enough for something short, but not for the sustained attention that Wolf Hall is requiring. So I wandered through the library looking for the thinnest books on the shelves, plucking off promising books of 100-200 pages.  With this I found Kaye Gibbons Ellen Foster, Helen Garner's The Spare Room (recommended in several personal lists), Rebecca Lee's The City Is a Rising Tide, and a book of short stories by Lauren Groff with an absolutely irresistable title: Delicate Edible Birds.

I dipped into Ellen Foster, and more about that tomorrow.  Lee, Garner, Gibbons, all are most promising.  I'll get through them rapidly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night