What Do I Read Next?

Once is a reminder, twice is synchronicity, three times confirms.  I have been reminded recently of the necessity to distinguish want from need.  Then I picked up a small book by Marietta McCarty titled How Philosophy Can Save Your Life.  The first chapter is dedicated to the simple life to the philosohy of Epicurus (amongst others) and to the idea of prudently distinguishing between what we want and what we truly need.  And finally I went today to see with wife and son, The Princess and the Frog. Besides being a delightful, colorful, musical film, it also imparted an essential message--go after what you need, not what you want.  Add to this that I was watching Up! again and something that had slipped by me the first time struck me upside the head.  In order to get his house to fly at a crucial point in the film, the old man needs to discard everything within--everything that is unnecessary to do what is necessary.  Now, I tend to be somewhat slow on the uptake, but this many things converging on this one point kind of made me think about what is necessary (needed) and what is desired (wanted).

I have spent a lifetime in reading without a plan.  I doubt seriously whether now is the time I adopt some systematic approach to reading.  But in reflecting on need and want, I did ask myself a key question--why am I reading?  Other than for enjoyment and filling up time--what is my purpose in reading?  How can I decide what to read next if I don't know what I'm reading toward?  Is there a goal--a reason for reading that can guide what is read?

I know that one purpose is to read the best that has been written.  But why do I want to do that?  What ultimately do I hope to gain from reading the best that has been written?  And how do I recognize it?  How do I know the best when I bump up against it?  And what exactly constitutes "the best?"  Reams of lists, thousands of opinions, erudite commentary and thought that goes into the review of each book, and yet I am no closer to knowing what is really the best.  And what is worse, I don't really know why I'm looking for this elusive best--what is it I hope to achieve by reading it?  If I read the best and am not changed by it, has the reading any purpose? 

Obviously, I have just barely come to terms with the questions, so I certainly can't offer any answers or advice on what to do about it.  But as we compile our lists of things to read, perhaps some thought should be directed to WHY we are reading and what end we hope to accomplish in our steady consumption of the best of literature. In thinking about purpose, undoubtedly we will be better able to come to terms with the what of reading.

Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean here, Steven, but I shouldn't worry too much if I were you. I have blundered around reading any old thing for most of my life, and now in my 6th decade I discover that without having any clear plan (other than a couple of reading challenges in the last couple of years) I've managed to read a fair bit of most of the canons I've come across. I'm enjoying what I read now more, because of the other books that I've read over the years (and therefore recognise a fair few allusions). This year I have a tentative plan, (http://www.librarything.com/topic/80302#1677870) but I'm just as likely to blunder about as before, following a whim here and there or cheerfully getting sucked into the hype of some shortlist or other.
    Perhaps there should be more purpose to my life and pursuits, but I'm an INTP and am temperamentally incapable of following a plan LOL.
    Cheers
    Lisa (ANZ LitLovers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lisa,

    Thank you. And as you know the types--INFJ, spontaneity R NOT us! :-D

    Sometimes I can go with the flow--most times. But I do stop to reflect occasionally where the flow is going. Doesn't stop me from drifting along.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine post Steven. It's amazing I caught that message in "Up" on the first go-around, given that you're the Carmelite! :-) I usually want my reading to be in some sense productive even though I'm not sure that's the purpose of art. There seems a sort of paradox or tension here since we're not on earth to kill time or distract ourselves to death. Eve Tushnet recently wrote: "I want to fight hard against a...reworking of Plato's Euthyphro, in which, since our ultimate goal is union with God in heaven, actions in this life are only good if they advance us on the celestial Snakes and Ladders board."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night