Tournament of Books Long List--Where is Tolstoy?

Here

Which leads me to some thoughts.  Of the making of lists there is seemingly no end.  And I would not wish for an end.  It is in the reticulation, the warp and the weft of multiple lists that I often dredge up the finest things to read.  But even reading some of these very fine things, I'm left with a kind of questioning longing--where is our new Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Joyce, Conrad, James.  No--I'm not looking for a replica, I'm not looking for anyone whose style is similar or who rights on similar themes.  I'm looking really for the best of the best--the works that in our present foreshortened judgment constitute lasting work.

I enjoy reading.  I don't always have to read the very best of the very best.  I like to read some bad books--things no self-respecting admirer of literature would be caught dead with.  I'm a reader, not a classicist (in a very bowdlerized sense of that word--substitue the snootier sounding "literateur").  But I do long for that electric shock of realizing that you're in the hands of a real artist, that what you're holding in your hands resounds beyond the present day--in the parlance of some--that it has legs.

In my year of reading, I haven't found that.  In truth, I haven't found it in many years of reading.  I've read some very capable writers--some marvelous writers--but sustainability--longevity, concerns that transcend the here and now even while dealing with the here and now--that quality in a writer is rare--not easily found.  But I'm willing to listen if you all have found the next Shakespeare--heck, at this point I'd take the next Richard Crashaw or Samuel Richardson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night