Joyce Carol Oates, Interview

I'm deeply grateful to Mark Athatakis' American Fiction Notes for this link to an interview with Joyce Carol Oates.

Joyce Carol Oates occupies a unique place in my literary affections because I don't care all that much for most of her work.  I find her novels mostly unreadable (not because they are, necessarily, but because they fail to engage me), I find her short stories fascinating in a mostly morbid way.  Nevertheless, I profoundly admire the speed and continuity of her output (reminding one of those afflicted by temporal lobe epilepsy) and the power and depth of her writing.  I am eeriely compelled to at least attempt all of her work, and I relish the style, language, and control she exercises over her material. 

But perhaps most of all, I find Ms. Oates to be an interesting and engaging person.  I was privileged to attend a writer's conference at which she was a speaker, and I have to this day cherished the memory of her keynote speech and the opportunity to exchange a few words with her.  Ms. Oates is just a very, very interesting, and very classy person.  This interview, to my mind, shows it once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night