Reading Finnegans Wake

Finnegans Wake treasure map

I have said before and reaffirm that I do not recommend Finnegans Wake to everyone; but neither do I not recommend it.  That is to say that I will evangelize for Ulysses but I will only sit in the sidelines and cheer when someone proposes to touch the Wake.  I do this because I recognize that the work of the Wake is not to everyone's taste.  I don't think it is outside of any literate person's ability, but I do think it is outside of most literate persons' scopes.  And so, while I don't recommend it aggressively, I am quietly encouraging anyone who has had a hankering for it to read the article referenced and perhaps a few sentences of the story itself.  You'll find yourself enjoying it before you know it. 

Comments

  1. Now here's a project for a blogger.

    Take one or more words from FW and post it with comments daily. I'm pushing 72 so I won't try it as I doubt that I would get off the first page. It's a job for a younger person or maybe even for several generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Fred,

    And one that should prove infinitely diverting and amusing. Now--that is a way of "amusing myself to death" that I could buy into!

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  3. The project is yours, if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven - I just found that post too and when I tackle the Wake, after Ulysses, that sounds as good an approach as any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Fred,

    Well, with my tenacity (witness Wordsworth), you can see that it fits well within my capacity. It's a really great idea.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anthony,

    I wish you well on the Wake. It certainly is a challenge, well beyond the challenge that Ulysses represents. And I do think that it is one of those books that benefits from a communal reading experience--enthusiasm grows. However, it is rare outside a University community to assemble such a group. So, if ever you'd like a companion on the way, just jog over hear, and you'll always have an attentive ear.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it.

    I will certainly be along for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steven - Thank you for that very kind offer, which I shall certainly require when I take on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night