Skeletons in the Reading Closet

D.G. Myers brings to light the notion of "reading skeletons."

Of course I find this infinitely amusing and even more amusing to consider the reality shows that could be made from the confessions of discoveries of these loathsome secrets. "Next up, after Supernanny, A.S. Byatt visits a bibliotherapist to treat her love of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Or perhaps the reality show that would include me Shameless Readers--stories of everyday people who gorge themselves with the most unspeakable and deplorable reading trash.  We could explore the deep dark secrets of people who aren't even aware that they should be ashamed of having read and enjoyed the things they have.

Comments

  1. Steven - I read this and cringed at my own memory of reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, whose influence was not dissimilar to Mr. Myers.

    In confessional mode I can also admit an equally mortifying teenage phase reading Richard Bach, aka Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

    Thankfully I was sufficiently aware by the time a rather attractive blonde tried to entice me to read beyond Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist. Her passion for the book convinced me to look beyond those beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Robert de Boron and the Prose Merlin

Another Queen of Night